I decided to share my thoughts on the subject of fear. With the Corona Virus spreading, fear is at an all-time high.
What is fear and how can we control our reaction to it? I believe fear is different for each person. You can fear something, someone and often times, we fear the unknown.
As much as I love to talk, I have a fear that always arises when asked to speak in public. Over time, I have learned to face the fear and continue to push myself to accomplish the task. Here are a few tips that may help in facing your fears.
- First acknowledge that the fear is real. Something that may be simple for me may cause great anxiety for someone else. Once you have identified the fear, make a plan on how to face and conquer it.
- Talk to someone. Voicing the fear can help in making it real. Whether is be a close friend or a therapist, talking can often calm the fear to a manageable level.
- Well balanced diet. Studies have proven that sugar and processed food can affect our thinking. Try to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your meal preparation and you may be surprised how much clearer your mind will become.
- Think positive. When you think something bad will happen, then you have already defeated your chances. A positive attitude is very powerful in all aspects of your life and in the lives of those that you are in contact with daily. Whatever calms your fears, such as yoga or prayer, I would encourage you do this daily until your fears subside.
- Be proactive. If the fear is something that requires action on your part, make a plan. With the Corona virus, there are simple steps that will cut down the percentages of being exposed. The number one recommendation is frequent hand washing. This is something simple that you can be diligent about and can cut you anxiety level down considerably.
Fear is an emotion that can dominate your life if you allow it. If we constantly focus on all that can go wrong, our brain will become overloaded. By choosing to live in fear, we are decreasing our happiness significantly. We must surrender to the fact that we cannot control everything. You have one life, live it!
“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”